And the award goes to…
Every year members of Hollywood’s elite gather at a star-studded event in February to celebrate directors, writers, actors, actresses and all the other creative people involved in bringing magic to movie screens around the globe.
The Academy Awards Ceremony, also affectionately known as the Oscars, is a tradition dating back to May 16, 1929 when the very first awards were handed out in the Blossom Room of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.1
But it’s not just big stars who get excited about the annual shindig anymore. Today the Oscars are just as eagerly embraced by fans who like to celebrate a night of glitz and glamour with their families from the comfort of their own cozy couches.
So how can you bring a little sparkle to your family room on the evening of February 24, Hollywood’s sparkliest night of all? Use some of the Oscar-worthy ideas we’ve come up with for throwing an award-winning Academy Awards party for the people you love most in the world!
- Get your family members in the mood by watching the build-up to the Oscars on its official site in the days and weeks before the show.
- If you want to make the night a little more interesting (it’s a pretty long awards ceremony, after all) make it a competition! Print out official ballots, have everyone make their predictions and score your sheets as the night progresses. Make it official by whipping up a wall chart that you can update as each award is presented so everyone can see who the current leader is and where they rank in the race. Participants could win a predetermined prize, or you can also just play for bragging rights if you’re not the betting kind!
- Serve Oscar-worthy treats! Cheese cut into star shapes, champagne or sparkling cider and hot hors d’oeuvres are a fancy way to celebrate. But a table filled with movie theatre snacks like popcorn, chocolate and soda pop can be every bit as exciting to your movie-hungry clan—especially the smaller ones!
- Decorate your viewing room with gold balloons, movie posters and your family’s old bowling, baseball or track and field trophies to set the mood! Most party stores now carry movie-themed decorations at this time of year, but you can go with whatever you have on hand to set a festive tone, even leftover birthday streamers!
- Dress the part by putting on your Sunday best, or get cozy in your pajamas instead. Bring out blankets or sleeping bags for the kids (who are sure to fall asleep before the end of the telecast if you live on the east coast!).
- Speaking of kids, since they probably won’t last all the way to the end of the awards (either because it’s not that interesting to them, or because they can’t stay awake that long), why not screen an academy-award winning animated movie right before the Oscars? Make it extra special by letting them eat dinner in front of the TV. It’s dinner and a movie kid-style!
409289 CAN/US (04/15)